Friday 29 October 2010

Andy Callahan

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Andy Callahan has made typesetting skills. He is a recent graduate from Leeds Metropolitan Uni just round the corner - he has some phenomenal work. He was one of It's Nice That's Graduates of 2010.

Andy's work - although slightly indulgent, mainly focuses on typography, of which his knowledge is amazing. He typesets whole stories on the back of posters with incredible care and intention to detail. I love his clinical and informative style. His worked based on a story of the Bermuda Triangle makes amazing use of the triangle as a graphic device first of all, which then transforms into a fold out poster.

My favourite piece of work by his is 'What We Talk About.' It is part of his design for literature series in which he illustrates the theme and typesets the short story on the back. For this particular story, titled: 'What we talk about when we talk about love' by Raymond Carver uses a framed human heart with overlaid copy, which is a juxtaposition of a disgusting/beautifully raw image. On the reverse the whole story is laid out in a 6 column, double justified grid. It is interesting to see how he pulls the viewer in with the image, and intrigues them enough to want to read the story for themselves. I would love one of these posters.

I aim to be on my way to gaining this level of skill and technical ability in the typography that I produce in my final year. I have to focus on my typesetting skills, and spend more time finessing and making sure everything is perfect. I want to have this level of detail in my work for my final degree show this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment