Monday 4 October 2010

Grid Systems in Graphic Design


This summer I had decided that I wanted to write my dissertation on something that would help me with my design skills. Something that when I had finished I would know everything I needed to. That is why I chose grid systems. I thought that on the completion of my dissertation I would be able to lay the shit out of anything that was put infront of me. I spoke to a few freelancers on placement and they all said it was worth knowing all that you could. However one designer said to read this book: Grid Systems in Graphic Design by Josef Müller-Brockmann because it tells you everything you needed to know. I thought great, a little bit of literature to get me started, but by everything he did literally mean everything. It was amazing to have everything I needed to know written out for me, so amazing infact that I thought there was little need for myself to even try and write about it. So I changed my dissertation topic, I'm now going to write about originality and ownership of originality in design.

I would greatly recommend getting this book, If you ever wanted to learn anything about grid systems this is the book to start and finish with. I am currently about half way through , and have learnt the best way to construct the type area, margin proportions, the best way to page number, and the perfect number of words per column - 7, incase you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment